One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
as modifier Of or denoting the divalent radical SO.‘thionyl chloride’
- ‘An excess of the dry commercially available alcohol was cooled to 0°C, and freshly distilled thionyl chloride was added.’
- ‘The methyl halide can be produced by reacting methanol with phosphorous halides, hydrogen halides, or, in the case of methyl chloride, thionyl chloride.’
- ‘One milliliter of dry methanol was chilled on dry ice and 0.25 mL thionyl chloride added slowly.’
- ‘The resulting ester was saponified under basic conditions to the free acid, converted to the acyl chloride with thionyl chloride, and then to the amide with anhydrous ammonia gas.’
- ‘Schedule 3 comprises a number of toxic or precursor chemicals with widespread industrial uses, such as phosgene, hydrogen cyanide, phosphorus trichloride and thionyl chloride.’
1857: so named by H. Schiff (see Schiff base).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.