One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An organic compound containing the group —SH, i.e. a sulphur-containing analogue of an alcohol.Also called mercaptan
- ‘Chemically, thiols occur readily in petroleum processes such as distillation.’
- ‘The samples were subject to two cycles of freezing/thawing and low molecular weight thiols were recovered in the supernatants after centrifugation at 12 000 g, 10 min at room temperature.’
- ‘Reduction of hexavalent chromium seems to be driven by ascorbate and low molecular weight thiols, whereas the major DNA adducts formed are ternary complexes of chromium and amino acids and glutathione.’
- ‘It is not yet known why we are so sensitive to thiols compared to their alcohol equivalents.’
- ‘The majority of the essential element, sulphur, in living organisms is in the reduced form of organic thiols, such as the amino acids cysteine and methionine.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.