One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An article in a newspaper, magazine, or journal presenting personal opinions, analysis, or discussion, rather than bare facts.
- ‘She isn't a new columnist - she's a staff reporter who writes an occasional think piece.’
- ‘As such, he didn't think that what the world needed was more 1,000-word reviews, profiles, or think pieces.’
- ‘This think piece from Scotland has a more serious take on the doomsday scenarios.’
- ‘Well, this particular document is being described as more of a think piece.’
- ‘From a think piece called ‘Reform is our Priority’, here's how he sees the current situation.’
- ‘It was more of a media think piece than a report from the front lines.’
- ‘Cole is not a ‘author’ but the writer of a think piece - a very different scenario.’
- ‘The site's culture department is just as stimulating, frequently supplying the kind of idiosyncratic think pieces so often absent in big newspapers' arts and leisure sections.’
- ‘Arguably, the joy of a magazine lies in miscellany; drifting from cover to cover, from a book review to a news story, to a freewheeling think piece, say, a reader has a chance to delight in the diversity of existence.’
- ‘I chose to take advantage of the prominence and stature of so many environmental historians to run a series of lead essays that were think pieces rather than conventional monographic articles.’
- ‘He wrote a think piece for the Irish Law Society last autumn when an initial public consultation was still in train.’
- ‘It wasn't meant to be a polished, long-pondered think piece.’
- ‘Surely, if the BBC can find server space for seemingly everything it's ever produced, there must be a bit of room for these think pieces?’
- ‘By way of contrast, a curious notion in other recent military think pieces runs the other way.’
- ‘It has around 100 columnists and semi-regular contributors, and runs smartly-written think pieces.’
- ‘Remember all those think pieces about how positive the girl group were as role models?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.