Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for thingummy
- ‘Deep-fry in one of those deep-fryer thingies or just use a heavy skillet with about a half-cup of really, really hot oil.’
- ‘I had erected a suspension thingy from the ceiling, from which I can hang a bicycle.’
- ‘I gave the plastic thingy a good firm tug, just to show it who was boss.’
- ‘It has three different sized grating thingies and the picture on the box very clearly shows it grating cheese, which puts a stop to the ne'er-do-wells warning me that cheese would bung it up.’
- ‘A lever thingy is pulled and the tables fall beneath the floor, thus creating dance space.’
- ‘Anyway, P had soup and I had a baguette thingy and we were chatting away.’
- ‘Now at the end of six minutes, put the dried mint leaves into the boiling thingy, close it with a lid and leave it to cool for an hour.’
- ‘So, I am going to have to buy one of those memory card thingies.’
- ‘I went to the loo on the fourth floor of her office building, and I found a whole pile of these cool white paper bag thingies, each with a picture of a shepherdess in a big frock on them.’
- ‘Haven't watched it all, but it seems like a manga thingy and has an amazingly weird look to it.’
- ‘Various people are taking it upon themselves to subscribe me to various newsletters, email thingies and so forth.’
- ‘Their van is one of those static thingies, with a bathroom, two bedrooms, lots of space inside and a small garden area in which I spent most of the time with a book in my hand.’
- ‘Now that the cup hooks are in place, we should be able to string the lights up with one of those grabby extension pole thingies.’
- ‘I'm trying to write a leaflet thingy to send out with any prints that I sell.’
- ‘Stick your name in the search thingy at the bottom and all will be revealed to you as if by magic.’
- ‘My illness thingy has only got worse, I have started to cough like some mis-firing machine gun.’
- ‘My company has just offered a choice of sticking with the final salary scheme or one of those money purchase thingies.’
- ‘The power keeps cutting out and coming back on, so I am about to pack up the internet thingy.’
- ‘I listened patiently to one of those annoying automated response thingies giving me 3 options.’
- ‘The day was hot and sunny as well, so I went for a stroll along the shore before the interview and looked at the many ducklings and some strange footed black duck thingies.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.