One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1informal A stupid person.
fool, idiot, ass, halfwit, nincompoop, blockhead, buffoon, dunce, dolt, ignoramus, cretin, imbecile, dullard, moron, simpleton, clodView synonyms
- ‘It was the only thing that got through to the thickheads he lived with.’
- ‘Except that he was being a complete thickhead.’
- ‘What do these thickheads think they're going to achieve by throwing eggs and breaking windows?’
- ‘I need you to go in covertly and collect as much information as possible so that I can present it to those thickheads and get approval.’
- ‘He's not a Christian either, you thickhead.’
- ‘Damn, she's even more of a thickhead than I had imagined.’
- ‘I'm not going to waste more time trying to talk sense into some narrow-minded thickhead, like you.’
2another term for whistler (sense 2)
- ‘The season proved somewhat dry and hot; nevertheless, Captain White was fortunate in securing a couple of specimens of the Red-throated Thickhead (Pachycephala rufogularis) and several other interesting species of birds, which he exhibited in illustration of his remarks.’
- ‘The Red-lored Whistler has also been known as the Buff-breasted, Red-throated or Rufous-throated Whistler or Thickhead, and as the Red-lored Thickhead.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.