One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A vitamin of the B complex, found in unrefined cereals, beans, and liver, a deficiency of which causes beriberi. It is a sulphur-containing derivative of thiazole and pyrimidine.Also called "vitamin B1"
- ‘Chronic alcoholism can result in deficiencies of thiamin, which can seriously impair mental abilities.’
- ‘Traditionally used as a medicine in different parts of the world, ginger contains minerals such as iron, calcium and phosphorous and vitamins like thiamine, riboflavin and vitamin C.’
- ‘For example, use whole-wheat pasta in place of enriched pasta to add fiber, magnesium, iron and B vitamins (niacin, thiamin and riboflavin) to your meal.’
- ‘Whole grains are also important sources of vitamins and minerals, such as thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, folate, selenium, zinc and iron.’
- ‘The B vitamin thiamine is essential for the metabolism of carbohydrates into simple glucose sugar.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.