Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Electrical activity observed in the brain under certain conditions, consisting of oscillations (theta waves) with a frequency of 4 to 7 hertz.
- ‘All 10 patients had frontal-temporal theta wave activity, which indicated diffuse changes characteristic of metabolic encephalopathy.’
- ‘The new development is that scientists have discovered that increased theta wave activity also enhances performance skills including musical understanding, imagination, and communication with the audience.’
- ‘Eminent creative individuals in various fields report trying a host of techniques to capture theta wave activity, including meditation, keeping a lighted ink pen at bedside, and so forth.’
- ‘For example, often there is cortical inhibition, as evidenced by very slow EEG theta waves.’
- ‘EEG theta waves are also prominent in deep states of meditation.’
- ‘In addition, there was an increase in theta waves in the front of the brain.’
- ‘Significant slowing of brain wave activity, i.e., increased theta wave activity, was observed on EEG. Memory testing suggested increased errors of commission.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.