Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A carnivorous dinosaur of a group whose members were typically bipedal and ranged from small and delicately built to very large.
- ‘Much has been written about the small, late Cretaceous theropods known as alvarezsaurids.’
- ‘Russell reminds readers that we do not know the biogeographic origin of birds, or theropods, or dinosaurs.’
- ‘Just to add an element of confusion, actual birds evolved from the lizard-hipped theropods, not from the bird-hipped ornithischians.’
- ‘Hence, we are suggesting that the pattern of lung ventilation during running in non-avian theropods was the opposite of that observed in recent birds.’
- ‘The bones of ceratosaurians, like those of all known theropods, are hollow.’
- ‘We know that it is a dromaeosaur, a theropod and relative of Velociraptor.’
- ‘Allosaurus is the most common of the theropods, making up more than 60% of all theropod specimens.’
- ‘Dromaeosaurs, a group of small, fleet-footed dinosaurs in the theropod family, are thought to be the closest known relatives of birds.’
- ‘If no later birds had evolved, Archaeopteryx would be classified as a feathered theropod, assuming we understood feathers in the absence of birds.’
- ‘The next largest carnivores were usually dromaeosaurs or other, much smaller theropods.’
- ‘Accumulating evidence suggests that living birds are the direct descendants of theropods, a group of meat-eating dinosaurs that walked on two legs.’
- ‘T. rex is a member of a large group of dinosaurs called theropods.’
- ‘Apparently, however, the jaws of theropods were relatively weaker for their length than those of carnivorans.’
- ‘Case said the shape of the teeth and features of the feet were characteristic of a group of dinosaurs known as theropods, which includes the tyrannosaurs, as well as all other meat-eating dinosaurs.’
- ‘Some theropods probably ate other dinosaurs' eggs.’
- ‘Much fossil evidence has been uncovered supporting the idea that birds evolved from a group of bipedal carnivorous dinosaurs called theropods.’
- ‘The theropods include such charismatic extinct animals as Tyrannosaurus rex, as well as the only surviving dinosaurs - the birds.’
- ‘Although great size, as well as a great range of body sizes, are among the most familiar qualities of dinosaurs, the early theropods were both small and fairly uniform.’
- ‘Sifting through the collection, they separated out the bones of a theropod, or meat-eating dinosaur.’
- ‘However, these feathered theropods are clearly just one small group of dinosaurs, and if they were all transported to modern times, they are so similar we would put them all in the same small group.’
1930s: from Greek thēr beast + pous, pod- foot.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.