One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Resembling an animal; bestial.
animal, beast-like, animalisticView synonyms
- ‘Whenever he saw in the street a mother escorting her congenitally deformed, theroid adolescent son, he was always struck by the grief and exhaustion indelibly imprinted on the face of this woman.’
- ‘Such a Materialist is a theroid idiot with the stamp of the goose upon him.’
- ‘In vain does Geology lay bare the Tertiary formation, with its enormous theroid mammalia, far surpassing in size the largest animals we are acquainted with.’
- ‘Dr. Ingrid Skinner disappeared with a number of theroid specimens that have mutated into monsters.’
- ‘His harrowing experience of exile has turned him into a theroid monster.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek thēr ‘beast’ + -oid.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.