Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Movement of an organism towards or away from a source of heat.
- ‘My lab uses thermotaxis, directed migration guided by differences in temperature, to study this fundamental question.’
- ‘If its new role holds up, it will be the first time a temperature-sensing protein has been implicated in mediating thermotaxis in animals.’
- ‘Using chemotaxis and thermotaxis as behavioral paradigms, neural plasticity including learning and memory can be studied genetically in C. elegans.’
- ‘‘I would stop short of concluding that the data provide strong proof for the existence of thermotaxis in rabbit sperm,’ she says.’
- ‘Unlocking the physiological significance of thermotaxis in E. coli remains a challenge, particularly because of the many environmental niches where this bacterium can be found.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.