Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Movement of an organism towards or away from a source of heat.
- ‘‘I would stop short of concluding that the data provide strong proof for the existence of thermotaxis in rabbit sperm,’ she says.’
- ‘If its new role holds up, it will be the first time a temperature-sensing protein has been implicated in mediating thermotaxis in animals.’
- ‘My lab uses thermotaxis, directed migration guided by differences in temperature, to study this fundamental question.’
- ‘Using chemotaxis and thermotaxis as behavioral paradigms, neural plasticity including learning and memory can be studied genetically in C. elegans.’
- ‘Unlocking the physiological significance of thermotaxis in E. coli remains a challenge, particularly because of the many environmental niches where this bacterium can be found.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.