One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Denoting substances (especially synthetic resins) which set permanently when heated.Often contrasted with thermoplastic
- ‘Made from fiberglass reinforcements and thermosetting polyester, the products come in many shapes and are corrosion resistant, strong, lightweight, and dimensionally stable, the manufacturer says.’
- ‘The methanal can then be used in the manufacture of thermosetting plastics.’
- ‘‘We developed an aromatic thermosetting polymer for use as an insulating material in copper chip technology,’ said James Economy, a professor of materials science and engineering at Illinois.’
- ‘After polymerisation using heat, light, radiation, or catalysis a range of strong thermosetting plastics can be produced.’
- ‘He called this material Bakelite - after himself - and it was the first thermosetting plastic in the world.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.