One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A steel pipe packed with steel wool through which a jet of oxygen or other gas may be passed to generate a very hot cutting flame.
- ‘This was the thermic lance, which is simply a long tube filled with steel rods, connected to an oxygen supply.’
- ‘A thermic lance is a blowtorch that uses steel and oxygen as a burning agent instead of acetyline gas and oxygen as you would use in a blow torch.’
- ‘The advantage of using a thermic lance is that it ensures the removal of loose particles and that the material surrounding the cut-out portion is hot.’
- ‘The tools of the trade are drills, hammers, levers, thermic lances, torches and explosives.’
- ‘Also, both plasma cutters and thermic lances are expensive and take skill to operate properly.’
- ‘For this application our special thermic lances are the intelligent solution both because of the lower costs and because of the enormous time-savings in comparison with other methods.’
- ‘The thermic lance was assembled on site from sections carried in a golf bag.’
- ‘The thermic lance mixes highly reactive metals in a catalytic reaction that spews forth flames for distances of up to 10 metres.’
- ‘The company manufactures thermic lances for use in cutting and demolition.’
- ‘Using a thermic lance, the men burned several thousand banknotes in the safe in their efforts to gain access.’
- ‘The intense heat generated at the end of the thermic lance when applied to a material will quickly burn through.’
- ‘There has been a long history of consumable thermal cutting devices which have been generically known as burning bars, thermic lances, oxygen lances, exothermic burning rods and deflagration devices.’
- ‘The thermic lance generates temperatures of up to 4,500° capable of burning through most materials.’
- ‘The safes were found, abandoned, having been attacked with thermic lances, but the thieves had obviously not got away with anything, because the contents were still inside, completely incinerated.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.