One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A steel pipe packed with steel wool through which a jet of oxygen or other gas may be passed to generate a very hot cutting flame.
- ‘The thermic lance was assembled on site from sections carried in a golf bag.’
- ‘The safes were found, abandoned, having been attacked with thermic lances, but the thieves had obviously not got away with anything, because the contents were still inside, completely incinerated.’
- ‘The tools of the trade are drills, hammers, levers, thermic lances, torches and explosives.’
- ‘There has been a long history of consumable thermal cutting devices which have been generically known as burning bars, thermic lances, oxygen lances, exothermic burning rods and deflagration devices.’
- ‘This was the thermic lance, which is simply a long tube filled with steel rods, connected to an oxygen supply.’
- ‘The thermic lance generates temperatures of up to 4,500° capable of burning through most materials.’
- ‘Using a thermic lance, the men burned several thousand banknotes in the safe in their efforts to gain access.’
- ‘The intense heat generated at the end of the thermic lance when applied to a material will quickly burn through.’
- ‘Also, both plasma cutters and thermic lances are expensive and take skill to operate properly.’
- ‘The company manufactures thermic lances for use in cutting and demolition.’
- ‘A thermic lance is a blowtorch that uses steel and oxygen as a burning agent instead of acetyline gas and oxygen as you would use in a blow torch.’
- ‘For this application our special thermic lances are the intelligent solution both because of the lower costs and because of the enormous time-savings in comparison with other methods.’
- ‘The advantage of using a thermic lance is that it ensures the removal of loose particles and that the material surrounding the cut-out portion is hot.’
- ‘The thermic lance mixes highly reactive metals in a catalytic reaction that spews forth flames for distances of up to 10 metres.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.