One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(especially of a deity) combining the form of an animal with that of a man.‘gods depicted in a therianthropic or hybrid form with human body and animal head’
- ‘The finds include the oldest known representation of a bird, a therianthropic sculpture and an animal that most closely resembles a horse.’
- ‘It contains many therianthropic creatures, who are both animal and human, and demonstrates the playfulness of the gods.’
- ‘Neither do any of the other therianthropic individuals represented in the Story of Chang Feng exist in reality, although some people may wish otherwise.’
- ‘There are several clear depictions of shamans in a therianthropic form, with hooves clearly visible.’
- ‘Kotzamani's therianthropic figures suggest the richness of many ancient traditions that stretch from dynastic Egyptian and pre-Classical Greek to Minoan art.’
- ‘Jolly believes that further research could likely prove this to be the case with certain other therianthropic depictions.’
Late 19th century: from Greek thērion ‘wild animal’ + anthrōpos ‘human being’ + -ic.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.