Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1With or in the thing mentioned.‘documents lodged therewith’
- ‘A book kept during these years, a Memorandum of the cost of Lamplough Station including all expenses connected therewith has been preserved by Mark Stoddart's grand-daughter.’
- ‘It's hard to keep up with the damage the courts are doing to America's constitutional fabric and therewith to America's constitutional ability to defend itself.’
- ‘To this end, everyone has the right to assemble and to form, join and participate in NGOs or communicate therewith.’
- ‘The astounding success of the Soviet 1943 summer offensive led Stalin to order a winter offensive to retake all lost Soviet territory, therewith ushering in the third act.’
- ‘You are invited to provide Architectural Services for the above project and to carry out all necessary duties in connection therewith and as set out hereunder.’
- ‘Similarly, the section 215 Notice has not been complied with and the Council again has powers to carry out works in default pursuant to section 219 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 to secure compliance therewith.’
- ‘For him the role of the urban African male is underpinned by cultural rituals and ‘secrets’ associated therewith.’
- ‘We hereby agree to abide by the terms and conditions set forth above and to perform in accordance therewith.’
- ‘It's also the future of Russia itself, and therewith of the whole of Eurasia.’
- ‘From the Evening News, November 6, 1903: The United Sunday Schools of Bolton are promoting an exhibition and eisteddfod and the first gathering in connection therewith was held last night in the Temperance Hall.’
- ‘Irish and Scottish settlers brought European magical traditions and blended therewith local herbal practices to form modern Appalachian herbalism.’
- ‘Any settlement or release does not bar the rights of the Corporation unless the Corporation has concurred therewith in writing.’
- ‘At the same time, he continued to draw his generous MP's salary, not to mention the equally generous expenses that go therewith.’
- ‘I was asked to forward with my Report the documents enclosed therewith.’
- ‘In just three decades, Pattaya had become the target of uncontrolled development, mass tourism, crime, prostitution and the myriad evils which are concomitant therewith.’
- ‘Any such Expert shall have power by his decision to fix the reasonable amount of his fees in connection therewith and they shall be borne in equal shares between the Purchaser and the Contractor.’
- ‘Part 1 considers the construction methods of existing tips, factors affecting their stability and the necessary site investigation work associated therewith.’
- ‘Evidence of other crimes, wrongs, or acts is not admissible to prove the character of a person in order to show action in conformity therewith.’
- ‘Because we can, as he believes, detect absolute acceleration empirically, we are entitled to believe in the existence of absolute velocity - absolute change of position - and therewith in the existence of absolute space.’
2Soon or immediately after that; forthwith.‘therewith he rose’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.