Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The three virtues of faith, hope, and charity.Often contrasted with natural virtues
- ‘Faith, hope, and love are the Church's traditional theological virtues.’
- ‘He argues that faithful interpretation of texts ‘ultimately depends upon the theological virtues of faith, hope and love’.’
- ‘I've found that the best way of capturing the spirit of this theological tradition is by considering the three so-called theological virtues named by Paul in the famous passage about love in 1 Corinthians 13: faith, hope and love.’
- ‘John L. Frank said, ‘I remember Ernest once teaching us that the Christian virtue par excellence was not a theological virtue like faith, hope, or charity, nor was it a cardinal virtue like fortitude, temperance, justice, or prudence.’’
- ‘Hope, that great theological virtue, urges us to a different stance, one aware of human sin and shortcoming, but aware also of our capacities for stewardship and decency and our openness to grace.’
- ‘Tolkien depicts the natural virtues as perfected and fulfilled by the theological virtues of faith, hope, and charity.’
- ‘Under the influence of the Judeo-Christian tradition as it enters the heart of the West, intellectual claims are tempered in yet a deeper way when they submit themselves to the theological virtues of faith, hope, and love.’
- ‘Hope is a theological virtue; despair is a mortal sin.’
- ‘And they taught us the foundations of the spiritual life as well: the cardinal and the theological virtues.’
- ‘Using the Creed and the Lord's Prayer as his guides, Augustine discusses the theological virtues of faith, hope, and love.’
- ‘Together, the two verses include all of the theological virtues: hope, faith, and love (charity).’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.