Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Having God as a central focus.‘a theocentric civilization’
- ‘Some depictions of heaven are strongly theocentric, portraying the blessed as caught up in an endless rapture of adoration; others are sociable and anthropocentric.’
- ‘But those prayers were all cast in highly theocentric terms.’
- ‘A theology focused anthropologically on ethical issues remains anthropocentric, not theocentric or Christocentric.’
- ‘Hence, his message was theocentric rather than ethnocentric, anti-Semitic, or anything else.’
- ‘When he did retreat it was to pray, and his resistance in the wilderness was absolutely theocentric: He had no tricks of his own to trump the devil, he simply had to recall, name, and claim his identity as centered in God.’
- ‘Schweiker describes his position as theocentric, but God seems to be a useful symbol that gives human agency seriousness and purpose by checking the unlimited expansion of human power.’
- ‘And it is that great theocentric heart that we have so lost in the evangelical world today.’
- ‘Thus, pluralism with a theocentric view of salvation has appeared.’
- ‘There in the New Testament ‘he finds a radically theocentric and socially radical Jesus with a decidedly human face.’’
- ‘The theology of Exodus is wholly theocentric and, moreover, it is creation-oriented; the Sabbath commandment fits that theological pattern.’
- ‘He embraced nonhuman nature from bears to orchids to rattlesnakes as ‘fellow mortals,’ but his theocentric ethic, which was grounded in a God manifested within nature, did not explicitly include the entire human community.’
- ‘While not every page of Scripture can be said to focus specifically on such a theocentric or monotheizing hermeneutic, it might be appropriate to read the exceptions in light of the greater whole.’
- ‘Religion is anthropocentric; theology is theocentric.’
- ‘Calvin's theocentric focus led him also to view the love of self as ‘a mortal plague that Christians must rip out.’’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.