One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to the rounded fleshy part of the hand at the base of the thumb (the ball of the thumb)‘the muscles of the thenar eminence’
- ‘Wasting of the thenar muscle occurs in under 10% of cases.’
- ‘Shaking the patient's hand at the end of the consultation, the doctor noticed a raised lesion on the thenar eminence of his right hand.’
- ‘Decreased grip strength may result in loss of dexterity, and thenar muscle atrophy may develop if the syndrome is severe.’
- ‘Although it is uncommon, swelling in the thenar or midpalmar spaces of the hand suggests an infectious etiology.’
- ‘The nerve also supplies a branch to the muscles of the thumb, the thenar muscles.’
Mid 17th century: from Greek, literally ‘palm of the hand, sole of the foot’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.