One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A member of a Xhosa-speaking people originating in present-day KwaZulu-Natal and now living in the Transkei.
- ‘Only two protested at meetings in their own tribal areas - Paramount Chief Sabata Dalindyebo of the Tembu and Paramount Chief Victor Poto of the Western Pondo.’
- ‘Broster noted that the Thembu were reluctant to sell beadwork.’
- ‘The last Paramount Chief of the Tembus, Jongolizwe Mtirara, died in July 1928, four months before Sabata Dalindyebo was born.’
- ‘All Thembus were free to come - and a great many did, on horseback or on foot.’
- ‘Four Clarke generations lived among the Thembu before Broster, as a young bride, moved to the village of Qebe in 1952 to run a family store.’
- ‘The king of the Tembus was told by a high court judge here yesterday that he would be treated like anyone else facing charges, regardless of who he was.’
- ‘Her later books lack the detail of her books on the Thembu.’
Relating to the Thembu.
- ‘Here Tembu goalkeeper Andile Sakhile was magnificent.’
- ‘Born in Qunu, Transkei, on 18 July 1918, Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela was descended from the Thembu royal lineage.’
- ‘The writings of Mandela often assert the rich and proud history of the Thembu monarchy.’
- ‘As Thembu men and women aged, their beadwork remained predominantly navy and white, but now contrasted with pink.’
- ‘There she studied Thembu traditions, developed a passion for beadwork, and collected and annotated local costumes that demonstrate how minutely beadwork mapped social identity within this Xhosa-speaking community.’
- ‘In 1910 he became the only African ever elected to a seat on the Cape Provincial Council (representing the Thembu people).’
- ‘A typical Thembu cultural village could be established, and a library or museum provided to showcase and market the historical and cultural heritage of the local communities.’
- ‘Broster's work provides detailed evidence of how status could be read from dress in Thembu society.’
- ‘And on this day, kings, queens and chiefs from those clans gather to honor a Thembu son with their symbol of bravery.’
- ‘Sheep-shearing was also often done by migrant Mfengu and Thembu men.’
- ‘Bereaved family members could not see their loved ones being buried as the Tembu custom forbids women from witnessing the burial of lightning victims.’
- ‘He was then cared for by his uncle, Jongintaba Dalindyebo, chief of the Thembu people.’
From Xhosa umThembu.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.