Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A catalogue giving the opening themes of works as well as their names and other details.
- ‘All of the incipits in the thematic catalogue are available on CD.’
- ‘One has only to glance at the contents page to realise that this is not just a thematic catalogue.’
- ‘The thematic catalogue is a powerful research and bibliographic tool.’
- ‘If there is a completed Collected Edition for that composer, a thematic catalogue may not be necessary.’
- ‘Neukomm's compositions (listed in his own thematic catalogue) include operas, masses, chamber music, and a Symphony in E performed in London in 1831 by the Philharmonic Society.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.