One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
There are clear signs that something unpleasant or unwelcome is going to happen.‘the writing was on the wall for the old system’
omen, ill omen, bad omen, portent, sign, indication, presage, warning, forewarning, foreshadowing, forecast, harbinger, augury, threat, menace, signal, hint, straw in the windView synonyms
- ‘Evidence from one Yorkshire local authority suggests that the writing is on the wall for affordable housing in villages.’
- ‘Since tobacco companies market their product to young people, the handwriting is on the wall in terms of the toll that we can expect if the course continues unchecked.’
- ‘When our own ranks are turning against us, the writing is on the wall.’
- ‘When the handwriting is on the wall, it's prudent to get your ‘true’ position on the record before anyone thinks you were responsible for the failure.’
- ‘Obviously, it would be a seismic shift at the New York Stock Exchange, but I think the handwriting is on the wall.’
- ‘The reality is, right now, in Hartlepool, they're worried, they're nervous; and they can see the writing is on the wall.’
- ‘I know nothing has been officially decided yet, but the writing is on the wall and we are looking at an utter disaster for the town.’
- ‘People are tired of him and it is clear to all of us that the writing is on the wall.’
- ‘However, although the writing is on the wall for the old hospital buildings at Bishopstoke, residents have been given a glimmer of hope in the possibility of rebuilding new services on the site.’
- ‘But the writing is on the wall: this Macbeth is already done for.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.