One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Everybody.‘now all the world and his wife seems to have heard of them’
- ‘I want the world and his wife to know what happened to my daughter.’
- ‘In the Atrium there is a huge glass window overlooking the Arcade where you can sit and watch the world and his wife stagger by.’
- ‘Yet here are thirteen hundred named images of babies, toddlers and pre-schoolers for the world and his wife to peer at.’
- ‘I know the world and his wife loves them, but I'm thoroughly sick of dinosaurs.’
- ‘It seems that the world and his wife now offer this service, which provides the home user a speed rivalling the internet connection you get in the office.’
- ‘Our little mini apartment at the Beach House hotel is right on the boardwalk where the world and his wife, their babies and assorted pets are jogging.’
- ‘Mrs Smith said: ‘That parrot would tell the world and his wife what his name is.’’
- ‘He has bad knees, and the world and his wife know it.’
- ‘With the help of the media, including the Evening Press, they ensured that the world and his wife knew about the gallery raid.’
- ‘Word got out we were having a party and the world and his wife turned up.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.