One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Everything.‘the whole shooting match is being computerized’
entirety, totality, total, whole, aggregate, summation, beginning and end, alpha and omega, be-all and end-allView synonyms
- ‘‘I built a 16-track studio and started educating myself about microphones, preamps - the whole shooting match,’ he says.’
- ‘On some farms, he notes, ‘the cost of quota exceeds the cost of land, animals, equipment - the whole shooting match.’’
- ‘A round of applause for Melissa please, for behind every successful man is an intelligent woman orchestrating the whole shooting match.’
- ‘It is, however, important to remember that the climax of the whole shooting match does not arrive for the best part of 11 months.’
- ‘It was a very sophisticated space probe, it had everything on it, penetrators, balloons, orbiting things, you know, it was just the whole shooting match.’
- ‘Once he has sold out, your boss most likely will try to put one of his old boys in charge of at least haft your job, maybe the whole shooting match.’
- ‘You need a good heavy one and even hang the camera bag from the central pole, just to stabilize the whole shooting match even further.’
- ‘But I can remember the days when a smile, a wink of the eye or an arch of the eyebrow set off the whole shooting match and a light fire would run beneath my skin.’
- ‘Not only my department, but the whole shooting match will cease to exist at the end of the year.’
- ‘After all, murderers take away more than a bit of the lives of the people they kill - they take away the whole shooting match.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.