One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The hours of night, portrayed as a time when one cannot sleep.‘the long, silent watches of the night’
- ‘In the watches of the night, the surface lure is well worth a try.’
- ‘Both the Bible and the ‘Boy Who Lived’ proved good company during the watches of the night.’
- ‘My soul is satisfied as with a rich feast, and my mouth praises you with joyful lips when I think of you on my bed, and meditate on you in the watches of the night; for you have been my help, and in the shadow of your wings I sing for joy.’
- ‘If we should go into all that occupied our friend in the watches of the night we should have to mend our pen; but an instance or two may mark for us the vividness with which he could remember.’
- ‘The psalms also encourage us to meditate on God's law in the watches of the night.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.