One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A name for God.
deity, god, goddess, mother goddess, divine being, celestial being, supreme beingView synonyms
- ‘It is a statement of faith in the power of a Supreme Being not subject to the laws of science.’
- ‘Consider for example, the attributes ascribed to the Supreme Being, God.’
- ‘It is true, she adds, that Buddhists, for example, don't believe in a distinct Supreme Being, but almost every kind of solemnizing expression will run afoul of someone's belief system, and we have to draw a line somewhere.’
- ‘They were led to obey the advice of their preachers in the name of the Supreme Being to whom were attributed all events.’
- ‘Contrary to prevailing misconceptions, Hindus all worship a one Supreme Being, though by different names.’
- ‘Traditionally, Nigerians believe that there are two types of divinities: the Supreme Being, and the subordinate deities.’
- ‘There is ongoing interdependence between the living, the living-dead (those remembered by name), spirits and divinities, and the Supreme Being.’
- ‘It is not easy to understand that various sects and religions are but the various ways to reach the same Supreme Being.’
- ‘They profoundly know that the God they worship is the same Supreme Being in whom peoples of all faiths find solace and peace.’
- ‘All that they require, by the way, is a belief in a Supreme Being - a monotheist god or absolute reality.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.