One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A staple food, especially bread.
- ‘The egg represents rebirth; the flour the staff of life; the salt wholesomeness and the milk, innocence.’
- ‘From pones baked up in cast iron skillets in the Appalachians to loaves laced with spicy peppers in the Southeast, cornbread has been the staff of life for many families.’
- ‘She ended the ceremony by presenting family members with a loaf of bread representing the staff of life, a bottle of wine representing the joy of companionship, a bouquet of flowers representing beauty and renewal, and a Bible.’
- ‘For a while now I've been interested in the fact that grain - the staff of life, the staple food for most of the world, the building-block of most civilizations - is actually quite dangerous in large quantities.’
- ‘Strong wheat prices last summer and early fall - and a better set of base and target prices offered in the 2002 Farm Bill - convinced many Great Plains farmers to shift some newfound corn and soybean ground back to the staff of life.’
- ‘Especially in October and November, Moore's long letters return again and again to Peggy: ‘Peggy is the staff of life.’’
- ‘Bread is the cornerstone of our diet, the staff of life.’
- ‘Carbonated beverages are the staff of life in the United States.’
- ‘It is the staff of life for the penguin, petrel, crabeater, leopard seal, and the Antarctic whales.’
- ‘Wheat farmers, under pressure from continued global competition, are moving away from the staff of life.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.