One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A set of conventions or principles governing behaviour in a particular sphere.‘the economic crisis changed the rules of the game’
- ‘They determined that they now must change the rules of the game through electoral reform.’
- ‘Forward-thinking start-ups materialize and change the rules of the game almost overnight.’
- ‘The new government simply believes globalisation is an irresistible force that cannot be beaten, so the best it can do is play by the rules of the game.’
- ‘We have always observed the rules of the game between senior and junior ranks.’
- ‘I think he would have regarded any such appeal by a philosopher in a philosophical work as a breach of the rules of the game.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.