One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A set of conventions or principles governing behaviour in a particular sphere.‘the economic crisis changed the rules of the game’
- ‘We have always observed the rules of the game between senior and junior ranks.’
- ‘Forward-thinking start-ups materialize and change the rules of the game almost overnight.’
- ‘I think he would have regarded any such appeal by a philosopher in a philosophical work as a breach of the rules of the game.’
- ‘The new government simply believes globalisation is an irresistible force that cannot be beaten, so the best it can do is play by the rules of the game.’
- ‘They determined that they now must change the rules of the game through electoral reform.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.