One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The prevailing custom or state of affairs.‘on Sundays, a black suit was the order of the day’‘confusion would seem to be the order of the day’
predominant, prevalent, current, customary, established, common, widespread, preponderant, in force, in effect, popularView synonyms
- ‘Indoors, there is a feeling of isolation from the real world - it is almost like going back in time to a more genteel era, when peace and quiet and high standards of service were the order of the day.’
- ‘In the past, the US anti-doping system was a bit of a joke, with self-regulation the order of the day among professional sports.’
- ‘This is the stark reality in a city where cutthroat competition between textile businesses is the order of the day.’
- ‘The chef remains tight-lipped as to the recipe, but you can rest assured that, like everything at Grassroots, high quality, impeccable ingredients will be the order of the day.’
- ‘While everywhere else spending cuts are now the order of the day, Darmstadt has an annual arts budget of DM 58.3 million.’
- ‘As the grey skies descend once again, reminding us all that it's still really winter, navel-gazing has become the order of the day.’
- ‘The affair probably dates back to the hedonistic days, of the late Eighties and early Nineties when conspicuous consumption was the order of the day.’
- ‘BIG hair was the order of the day for models showing off British designer John Galliano's ready-to-wear collection at the end of Paris fashion week.’
- ‘Gentle pastel colours are the order of the day, and wherever you are in the building, you're close to a source of natural light.’
- ‘Stunning dresses in vibrant shades were the order of the day, with Teri Hatcher's Greek-style midnight blue number carrying off the style prizes.’
- ‘When the Great Depression came in 1929 and business failures became the order of the day Holt, like everyone else, was placed under tremendous pressure.’
2(in a legislature) the business to be considered on a particular day.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.