One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The main purpose of an activity.‘the object of the exercise was to recover stolen property’
aim, intention, purpose, target, goal, intent, object, end, end in view, grail, holy grailView synonyms
- ‘As much as anything, the object of the exercise is to display unity and a sense of collective purpose.’
- ‘We have to make it difficult to change otherwise it defeats the object of the exercise.’
- ‘This is another case in which the profit motive had conflicted with, and indeed blotted out, the object of the exercise, which was to obtain a supply of jurymen.’
- ‘We could wait a few decades to see how real temperatures pan out, but that rather defeats the object of the exercise, especially if you believe we'll all be parched or drowned in a century's time.’
- ‘Freudian free association, in Jung's view, carried the dreamer away from the dream and served only to lead him back, time and again, to his childhood complexes, and this defeated the object of the exercise.’
- ‘If plumping the turkey up for a Christmas sale was indeed the object of the exercise, the market appears to have reacted in the manner intended.’
- ‘I just don't know what the object of the exercise is here.’
- ‘We'd tell you what he said but that would kind of defeat the object of the exercise.’
- ‘Unfortunately for those who would really rather not have the plot given away, the review section tends to assume knowledge of the plot summary, rather defeating the object of the exercise.’
- ‘This privatisation conflicted with the object of the exercise, which was to raise money by selling the lands.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.