One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The use of physical force to maintain control.‘the country's leadership has shown its continued reliance on the mailed fist’
- ‘Inside the velvet glove is always the mailed fist.’
- ‘The balance of the country's history - before and after independence - is overwhelmingly weighted in favour of the mailed fist rather than the velvet glove.’
- ‘Soft talk or big stick, carrot and stick, accept the velvet glove or face the mailed fist.’
- ‘Those original six are represented on the squadron's badge - the mailed fist apparently symbolises the first CO Lt Cdr R.F. Walker (apparent a ‘robust’ individual) and five clouds stand in for those five pilots.’
- ‘In 1992, the squadron's insignia was officially changed from the Green Pawn to the mailed fist and lighting bolt previously used by Attack Squadron 176.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.