One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The scheme or deception is revealed or foiled.‘the jig is up; you've had your last chance’
- ‘Well, everyone knows that the jig is up once the partying begins.’
- ‘Once the major minutes begin to tell on Michael Jordan - and it could happen any minute - the jig is up.’
- ‘If he flouts these rules, then it's time to tell him the jig is up, and he is out.’
- ‘Tally put her hands in the air mockingly and said, ‘I guess the jig is up.’’
- ‘The rug's been pulled; the jig is up; there is no way to get out of this one!’
- ‘Dekker looks over his shoulder and sees that the jig is up.’
- ‘It will be good enough, for your purposes, to tell him that the jig is up and you are outta there.’
- ‘The cops merely have to line up a bunch of cruisers along St-Antoine, a few more on McGill and de la Commune and the jig is up.’
- ‘The corrupt powers that be suddenly realize the jig is up and the healing can thus begin.’
- ‘Which means, as Way puts it, ‘When the venues go, the jig is up.’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.