One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The most valuable or successful part of something.‘Galway is the jewel in the crown of the Irish racing industry’
best, finest, pride, prize, treasure, glory, wonder, flower, pearl, jewel, the jewel in the crown, masterpiece, chef-d'œuvre, leading light, pick, choice, paragon, prime, cream, the crème de la crème, elite, electView synonyms
- ‘Monopoly, however, is the jewel in their crown, one which they guard jealously.’
- ‘The School of Music is the jewel in the crown of Cork's cultural infrastructure.’
- ‘Britain is one of the most beautiful islands on earth - and Manchester is a sparkling jewel in its crown.’
- ‘They really are the jewel in the crown of the gardens because of their historical and cultural importance.’
- ‘What a horrible start to the new competitive hurling year for the jewel in our crown.’
- ‘But she is also a rare jewel in the crown of humanity.’
- ‘What has been created in Edinburgh is the jewel in the crown for Harcourt.’
- ‘Indeed, I invite United Future members to take a call, because this bill is meant to be the jewel in their crown.’
- ‘This has been the dilemma facing the FA as they once again tinkered with the jewel in their crown, the FA Cup this week.’
- ‘Our reservoirs and surrounding countryside are the jewel in our crown when we play host to visitors and tourists.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.