One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An attractive but inessential addition or enhancement.‘more goals would have been the icing on the cake’
- ‘Fine weather in the village on Sunday was the icing on the cake on what was a great day at the Ballyroan Vintage Rally.’
- ‘Your Fortress response, Jody, was a helpful bit of frosting on the cake.’
- ‘The standard 1.8 litre motor is a little beauty and the addition of a turbo adds icing on the cake.’
- ‘But no matter what, shoes are the icing on the cake when completing your look.’
- ‘This has been the icing on the cake for both Sharon and Derek, as a lot of hard work has gone into the design and development of the clinic.’
- ‘Part one of this production took place on the previous night and Saturday's show was the icing on the cake.’
- ‘This is an achievement of global significance, and the fact that the lads in green won at Twickenham is the icing on the cake.’
- ‘Providing the icing on the cake for him was the National Film Awards that was presented here on Monday.’
- ‘As just a little extra icing on the cake, they decided to change hosts during this process as well.’
- ‘Lukas's victory in the youths' event was the icing on the cake.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.