One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An attractive but inessential addition or enhancement.‘more goals would have been the icing on the cake’
- ‘This has been the icing on the cake for both Sharon and Derek, as a lot of hard work has gone into the design and development of the clinic.’
- ‘This is an achievement of global significance, and the fact that the lads in green won at Twickenham is the icing on the cake.’
- ‘As just a little extra icing on the cake, they decided to change hosts during this process as well.’
- ‘Part one of this production took place on the previous night and Saturday's show was the icing on the cake.’
- ‘Fine weather in the village on Sunday was the icing on the cake on what was a great day at the Ballyroan Vintage Rally.’
- ‘The standard 1.8 litre motor is a little beauty and the addition of a turbo adds icing on the cake.’
- ‘Your Fortress response, Jody, was a helpful bit of frosting on the cake.’
- ‘But no matter what, shoes are the icing on the cake when completing your look.’
- ‘Lukas's victory in the youths' event was the icing on the cake.’
- ‘Providing the icing on the cake for him was the National Film Awards that was presented here on Monday.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.