One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘It still hurt when he smiled but he did anyway - it seemed so absurd that James of all people would be reading the Good Book.’
- ‘Some offer summaries of the various biblical books and include essays or devotionals written by a variety of black authors on how to apply the Good Book's principles to the problems of modern life.’
- ‘I try to do what the Good Book says and ‘turn the other cheek,’ but I'm not sure how much more I can take.’
- ‘The Good Book finds new niches: specialty editions of the bible for African Americans and youth are reaping rewards for publishers.’
- ‘Like the Good Book says, ‘Seek, and ye shall find’ - Matthew 7:7.’
- ‘You see, since so many other sources of inspiration turned into blind alleys, I consulted that fount of ancient wisdom, the most-quoted tome of all time, the Good Book itself.’
- ‘On the other hand, various religious groups have used the Good Book and their own commentaries and other writings to foster alternative views of truth.’
- ‘However, I won't pretend to be a scholar of the Good Book - I don't read the Bible half as much as I should.’
- ‘But there's a lot more here, and the main theme, one of forgiveness, is as potent a moral as you'll find in the Good Book.’
- ‘This week marks the 400th anniversary of the commissioning of the King James Bible, the first authorised version of the Good Book to be rendered in plain English.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.