Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- see gab
The ability to speak with eloquence and fluency.‘my friend had the gift of the gab and gradually defused the situation’
eloquence, fluency, clarity of speech, expressiveness, articulateness, articulacy, good command of the languagepersuasivenessa way with words, blarneyView synonyms
- ‘Your delightful gift of gab can get you in gossip trouble but, of course, you can talk your way out of it.’
- ‘A lot of people only get honours because they have got the gift of the gab.’
- ‘It was this natural gift of the gab, her bright and lively manner and her instinct for a good yarn that helped her win a rare career break into broadcasting as she approached 40.’
- ‘Nicole has the gift of the gab and the ability to fire out a quick response without thinking too much about it.’
- ‘Over 10 spirited contestants with a gift of the gab, including a girl student, were chosen for the finals of the mock press competition organised in connection with Noopuram 2003, the youth festival of Cusat.’
- ‘I note some tut-tutting over the methods employed by frontline reporters armed with only the gift of the gab, trying to convince Brown to speak to them.’
- ‘He's a cheeky chappy who we're expected to find charismatic simply because he has the gift of the gab, but he's all cockiness and no collateral.’
- ‘Acting is not mere gift of the gab, but a skill that comes from a serious observation of life and all around.’
- ‘The medallion imparts the gift of gab and is powered by solar energy.’
- ‘‘An anchor should have gift of the gab, be fluent in a language, maintain eye contact with the viewer and make the caller feel easy,’ she says.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.