One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The truth.‘the fact of the matter is that few such cases reach the magistrates' courts’
the fact of the matter, what actually happened, what really happened, the case, soView synonyms
- ‘They battled bravely even when defeat was staring them in the face, but the fact of the matter is that they are not yet ready to take on teams in the top flight.’
- ‘I think that the fact of the matter is there are plenty of women who are interested in helping other women come up through the ranks.’
- ‘And the fact of the matter is, he did what many, many people would do in that situation, right or wrong.’
- ‘Well, despite all this, the fact of the matter is that, look, flying has always been relatively safe.’
- ‘The simple fact of the matter is that he was the first to use the name in the field of popular music.’
- ‘And the fact of the matter is, is we are busy responding to the last threat, which is the terrorist threat.’
- ‘And the fact of the matter is, these advertisers are paying for these programs.’
- ‘But the fact of the matter is that this incident occurred and I would like an explanation from whoever is in charge.’
- ‘But the fact of the matter is, any time you ingest a pill, a chemical, there is going to be a risk.’
- ‘And the fact of the matter is, anybody can become violent under the right circumstances.’
- ‘That's not a criticism, that's a description of what I think is the fact of the matter.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.