One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The latest possible moment.‘the decision to send Eddie with the team was made at the eleventh hour’
- ‘Twelve months ago, theatregoers were denied the delights of Oriel quad's annual allotment of classic drama when Marlowe's Edward II was shelved at the eleventh hour.’
- ‘Even if, like Harold Wilson in 1974-76, he had already decided to step down, he would be ill-advised to announce this before the eleventh hour.’
- ‘He added that the gala committee had been greatly assisted by the Old White Bear public house, which stepped in at the eleventh hour to provide refreshments, and the Brownies who cleared the tables.’
- ‘Perhaps people taking this lull in the movement of the hurricane to come in and try and find gasoline at this, the eleventh hour of these mandatory evacuations.’
- ‘He seriously considered an offer to move to South Australia but conceded at the eleventh hour of negotiations that the idea of not being part of a major Tasmanian success would be just too hard to take.’
- ‘Plans by Antler Homes to build eight flats and 14 town houses on land near the York to Scarborough railway line at the rear of Calf Close, in Haxby, were withdrawn at the eleventh hour.’
- ‘Meanwhile the work-to-rule by ward clerks which was due to begin at University College Hospital Galway yesterday morning was suspended at the eleventh hour.’
- ‘If one of the Top 10 gets victory in the Big Race, they will be rewarded with extra points, possibly clinching the £557,250 prize at the eleventh hour.’
- ‘An actor had to drop out of rehearsals for the theatre's next production, the psychological thriller, Your Turn To Clean The Stair, and at the eleventh hour, Mike was drafted in.’
- ‘Having failed with Fabiano, last month they were on the verge of capturing Argentine starlet Fernando Cavenaghi only to see the deal hijacked at the eleventh hour by rivals Spartak Moscow.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.