One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The arid uninhabited centre of a country, region, state, etc.‘the dry heart of California’
- 1.1Australian, NZ Central Australia.‘the huge, dry heart of this country might be the stuff our Aussie myths are made of, but most of us still stick firmly to the coast’
- ‘This rural agricultural area is the increasingly dry heart of the nation's productive farmland.’
- ‘Imagine an Australia with endless acres of irrigated crops scattered through its dry heart.’
- ‘Now confined to the dry heart of the desert, the Sonoran pronghorn has declined precipitously in recent years.’
- ‘This is a cinema of spatial oppositions, with fragile coastline and the dry heart.’
- ‘The team travelled 3,000 kilometers across the dry heart of Australia using only the power of the sun.’
- ‘The familiar sight here at the Simpson Desert is ridge upon ridge of deep red sand that stretches from horizon to horizon in the dry heart of Australia.’
- 1.1Australian, NZ Central Australia.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.