Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The very best of a particular group of people or things.‘the researchers and institutions in this network are the cream of the crop’
- ‘We're going to be looking at the top banana, the big kahuna, the cream of the crop.’
- ‘He seemed the cream of the crop, loads of experience!’
- ‘In sports, the cream of the crop is skimmed at each level.’
- ‘Inbound tourist operators are the first to admit their jobs are the cream of the crop.’
- ‘The cast may not be the cream of the crop.’
- ‘The cream of the crop was selected to play for the national team.’
- ‘However, it is important to only rehire the cream of the crop!’
- ‘The cream of the crop are well represented on the recently released 25th anniversary set, a double-disc effort comprising 41 tracks.’
- ‘We've sifted through the newest influx of items to find the cream of the crop.’
- ‘I'm pleased to have heard from the cream of the crop.’
- ‘Due to a cream of the crop matching service finding games is a cinch.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.