One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An excellent person or thing.‘this car is the cat's whiskers’
- ‘She was a phenomenal producer - the cat's meow, as my mother would say - and every big player in town was after her.’
- ‘The featherweight division is the cat's pyjamas in boxing at present.’
- ‘They're the cat's meow and I love them so much!’
- ‘Her conceptual artworks are curiosities rather than the cat's pyjamas, says Cristin Leach.’
- ‘Tell Boyfriend you get why he's mad and that you could not be more mortified and sorry; show him that you think he and only he is the cat's meow.’
- ‘And hey, Kevin, you aren't exactly the cat's meow either!’
- ‘I decided that having James as a last name was just the cat's meow.’
- ‘For some women, casual relationships are the cat's pyjamas and fair dues to them, that's their own prerogative.’
- ‘You're still the cat's meow, baby, wherever you are.’
- ‘He is dressed in his trademark style, which is to say that he not only looks like the cat's pyjamas, he is wearing them, along with his silk crimson black-lined robe.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.