One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The responsibility for something cannot or should not be passed to someone else.‘in the past you could spread the blame, but now the buck stops here’
- ‘Those people that are trying to shift focus should realize what Harry Truman said a long time ago, the buck stops here.’
- ‘‘The controllers are all highly trained and they will handle all the aircraft passing through our airspace but, ultimately I am the general manager so the buck stops here’, he said.’
- ‘Surely the public is entitled to know, because the buck stops here, where the votes are.’
- ‘He hasn't taken a leadership role to say, ‘Yes, the buck stops here.’’
- ‘‘I'm the compliance officer, so you're right, the buck stops here in the end,’ she said.’
- ‘‘Since we provide the funding and oversight for the agency, the buck stops here,’ said Mr. Hollings.’
- ‘Nor has he shown any inclination to properly organize his economic troops, or to deal with the fact that the buck stops with the chief executive.’
- ‘When the buck stops here - when you're responsible for the ultimate shareholder value - you've got to take 10 or 30 or 100 variables into consideration.’
- ‘We are all to blame tonight, but I signed the players and I suppose the buck stops with me.’
- ‘He's also willing, more often than not, to stand up and do a Harry Truman, take positions, and say the buck stops here.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.