One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A name given by hunters to the five largest and most dangerous African mammals: rhinoceros, elephant, buffalo, lion, and leopard.
- ‘You are guaranteed to tick off the full roster of the big five lion, buffalo, leopard, rhino and elephant.’
- ‘Hundreds of thousands from all over the world flock here year round for a glimpse of the big five: elephant, buffalo, leopard, rhino and lion.’
- ‘The economics of shooting with the big five of Africa - the elephants, the giraffes, the rhino, the zebra and the buffaloes should be attractive, he said.’
- ‘Another good option is to fly to the Maasai Mara, Kenya's top wildlife sanctuary and home to the big five - elephant, lion, leopard, rhino and buffalo.’
- ‘Most people on safari are after the big five - lion, leopard, buffalo, elephant and rhino.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.