One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The best in a particular group.
finest example, finest specimen, choicest example, choicest specimen, best example, best specimen, showpiece, pearl, flower, pride, pride and joy, cream, crème de la crème, jewel in the crown, nonpareil, glory, wonder, prize, boast, pickView synonyms
- ‘You can't, so our strategy has always been to pick the best of the bunch regardless of technology.’
- ‘Far heavier, mature and emotional than its predecessor and descendants this is by a whisker the pick of the bunch.’
- ‘28 eligible escorts are needed answer the call and organisers in Tralee are determined to get the pick of the bunch with a nationwide campaign.’
- ‘The 10 finalists were the pick of the bunch from about 150 young hopefuls who auditioned for Wairarapa Idol in June.’
- ‘That's certainly the case with some of these images, the pick of the bunch from last year by the Evening Press's award-winning team of photographers.’
- ‘On Saturday, her treasured bloom was judged the pick of the bunch in a regional heat held at the Whitehall Garden Centre in Lacock.’
- ‘So this year, for the first-ever Shape of Beauty Awards, we joined forces with you, our readers, to pick the best of the bunch.’
- ‘The first two are, predictably, the best, with 1934's Tarzan and His Mate being the pick of the bunch, with its startlingly frank nude swims, uncompromised violence and sheer joy of jungle living.’
- ‘It was picked out as the best of the bunch and sent to the workshop to be converted into a driver training bus and given a new coat of green paint.’
- ‘Their presentation to the existing clubs in December was the most smoothly professional of all, and a visiting SFL delegation considered their ground the pick of the bunch.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.