One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A woman who is completely devoted to her husband and family.‘it's a bit late to be coming on like the angel in the house now’
- ‘Legal notions of spousal unity and the sentimentalization of a woman's role as ‘the angel in the house’ have often served to undercut married women's agency and autonomy.’
- ‘The stereotype of the middle-class woman as the angel in the house can easily be overplayed.’
- ‘For while the sun finally shines on Arvay, it only does so once she can re-establish herself as the good mother, the benevolent angel in the house.’
- ‘I wrote here about sex differences that don't rely on some mythos of the ‘angel in the house.’’
- ‘A woman, the letter suggests, ‘exists ‘for the other’ ‘and will be most fulfilled by serving as what feminists have called ‘the angel in the house’ who meets the needs of her husband and children.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.