One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The mass or multitude of ordinary people.‘politicians need not answer inconvenient questions if they emanate from the great unwashed’
- ‘The local landed gentry, when not herding the unwashed through their country piles, go up to town: and that means a trip to their London club, not a Spurriergate shopping spree.’
- ‘It can only be a matter of time before there are running street battles to demarcate the boundaries between the Chorlton chosen and the unwashed of Withington and Stretford.’
- ‘We guess just because you're concentrating on making poverty history doesn't mean you can't enjoy some Pimms roped off from the unwashed.’
- ‘Others were putting up a mediocre fight against the unwashed.’
- ‘The Samoans are considered by many of the earlier arrivers to Hawaii to be the unwashed, much like the caste system in India.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.