One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
adjectiveNorthern Irish, Scottish
Ineffectual or feeble.‘you're the most thaveless man in creation’
- ‘He says you love this flying about, you thaveless cad!’
- ‘"Yon thaveless hussy is clean out of her mind," said Betty.’
- ‘He's nothing but a thaveless clat.’
- ‘She's got four weans and a thaveless gawm of a father.’
- ‘She was thaveless—without question, the world champion at cutting her knees, knocking things over, and crying her eyes out.’
Early 18th century: perhaps an alternation of thewless ‘without energy’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.