One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in Freudian theory) the death instinct.Often contrasted with Eros
- ‘Here was Norman O. Brown's vision of Eros and Thanatos translated into brilliant novelistic terms.’
- ‘Surely that's necessary, but as Freud pointed out almost a century ago, Thanatos and Eros are hard to keep apart.’
- ‘He was attracted to a mixture, as Epstein puts it, of Eros and Thanatos.’
- ‘Danger and death greet the poet's questing desire to excavate the lower reaches of the mind: Thanatos looms large in this writing.’
- ‘However, he argues further that if Freud is correct, the balance to Thanatos is Eros, or the love of life.’
From Greek thanatos ‘death’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.