One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The scientific study of death and the practices associated with it, including the study of the needs of the terminally ill and their families.
- ‘It's good to come to terms with thanatology as a psychospiritual initiation.’
- ‘These course units are for students of thanatology and also to be used as electives for various other programmes.’
- ‘Accordingly, the concepts of hospice and palliative care, pioneered in England by Saunders, and of thanatology, pioneered in the U.S. by Kubler-Ross, emerged, signaling the birth of a new movement.’
- ‘Graduate students are encouraged to conduct research studies in thanatology.’
- ‘The National Center for Death Education offers a certificate in the field of thanatology - the study of death and dying, and the grief process.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek thanatos ‘death’ + -logy.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.