One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Either of two masses of grey matter lying between the cerebral hemispheres on either side of the third ventricle, relaying sensory information and acting as a centre for pain perception.
- ‘The sleep cycle is controlled by a complex system of neurones (messenger cells) in the brain stem, thalamus, hypothalamus, and basal forebrain.’
- ‘Peripheral injury results in anatomic and physiologic changes within the dorsal horn, sensory thalamus and cerebral cortex.’
- ‘By contrast, reduced activation in the mesencephalic brainstem and the thalamus was noted to be exclusively associated with mental relaxation.’
- ‘However, after controlling for this overall increase in metabolism in the methamphetamine abusers, the investigators showed that metabolism was significantly reduced in two brain regions - the thalamus and striatum.’
- ‘They note that there is evidence to suggest that a circuit involving the thalamus and frontal lobes functions abnormally in autism.’
Late 17th century (denoting the part of the brain at which a nerve originates): via Latin from Greek thalamos.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.