Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Language regarded as characteristic of text messages, consisting of abbreviations, acronyms, initials, emoticons, etc.‘I never ever abbreviate (i.e. write in textspeak), but cabinet ministers and heads of industry do’‘perhaps U2 should call themselves You Two/Too to avoid promoting textspeak among the youth’
- ‘Naturally, M. I.A. has a blog too, one so laden with textspeak, random capitalization and daring spelling experiments - "brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrap" - that it feels like a parody.’
- ‘Perhaps U2 should call themselves You Two/Too to avoid promoting textspeak among the youth, and The Killers could morph into The Upstanding Pillars Of The Community?’
- ‘The same message sent in that hideous text-speak would have been more than a little unsettling.’
- ‘The report told schools to make it clear that text-speak was "not appropriate for public examinations" and pupils would lose marks if the quality of written communications is poor.’
- ‘I vehemently opose smileys, textspeak and chatroom acronyms’
- ‘With Textspeak, a whole new variety of the English language has grown up in a mere five years.’
- ‘I just think it's crass to abbreviate in that manner, writing in text-speak like some 15-year-old going out on a Friday night.’
- ‘Moves are afoot to include some mobile phone textspeak in the official dictionary of the game beloved by generations.’
- ‘Myself, I never ever abbreviate (i.e. write in textspeak), but cabinet ministers and heads of industry do.’
- ‘Self-effacing men are also more likely to get a reply to their approaches, while nothing puts potential dates off more than textspeak like "ur" and "luv".’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.