Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A thermionic valve having four electrodes.
- ‘The three-pole array therefore acts as the feedback element stabilizing the operating point of the tetrode.’
- ‘These tetrodes only have connections for four electrodes, but they include a pair of ‘beam forming plates’ that direct the electron flows.’
- ‘Power tetrodes are also sometimes used in amateur radio and industrial applications.’
- ‘The next generation of Thomson tetrodes will make it possible to reach the same levels of power at these frequencies in CW (continuous wave) operation, with an even higher efficiency’
- ‘He was the one I was working with and I asked him if he could maybe build some tetrodes for us to experiment with.’
Early 20th century: from tetra- ‘four’ + Greek hodos way.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.